Saturday, May 23, 2020

Paatal Lok (2020) Series Review

My knack of watching series continues with the latest Amazon Series Pataal Lok. It has 9 episodes 45 minutes each. With my father, I finished this series in two days. I have been listening to praise of it since the past week. I know I am late but yeah I found my time now. How is the series according to me? (Just in case you do not know I was not able to tolerate the extra-liberal approach given to some Amazon Originals like Made in Heaven or Four More Shots Please.)
Paatal Lok is a crime thriller series released in 2020 on Amazon Prime Video. It stars Jaideep Ahlawat, Neeraj Kabi, Abhishek Banerjee, Gul Panag, Ishwak Singh, Niharika Dutt, Swasthika Mukherjee, Jagjeet Snadhu, Anuraj Arora, Aasif Khan, Bodhisattva Sharma, Mairembam Ronaldo Singh in important roles. It is directed by Avinash Arun and Prosit Roy. It is created by Sudip Sharma. Anushka Sharma is one of the producers for the series.

The trailers for the show was showing me nothing. So, it was just the cast that attracted me to watch the show. But, the screenplay of the series really impressed me. It is one of the tightest screenplays I have ever seen. This series hooked me for 6 hours straight and that is an achievement. This series revolves around 4 criminals caught under the conspiracy to murder Sanjeev Mehra, a renowned journalist in Delhi. As Hathiram Chowdary bags this high profile case after 15 years of service, he is determined to solve this case so that he can prove himself worthy. Because it is a web-series, the makers also throw light on the personal lives of all these main characters. These incidents eventually give us the clues for the solving of the case. This gist of the plot might sound familiar. After all, this is a crime thriller and many web-series in India from Sacred Games to The Family Man are basically crime thrillers. So, what makes this series special from all the other shows out there for me? This series turns things around a bit. You will know it after watching the series. It has the usual positives that every good crime thriller has, the tension, the suspense, the morbid and dark humour etc. Also, it tries to shed light on the tactics and strategies of media personalities just for some TRP. It shows the exact meaning of humanity in several instances. Mainly, it tries to focus on the current government and you can observe several connections. The beef matter, the dalits and many more issues just show stuff like it. But, for a person who do not care about politics, it was just nothing. It was definitely not Hinduphobia for sure. It is just a bad person. Keeping all of the political stuff aside, the things I most liked and the most disliked were the family stories of both Hathiram Chowdary and Sanjeev Mehra. Both are flawed personalities. They have their issues. Siddarth, son of Hathiram has problems connecting to the high class guys in an English Medium school(I also faced it quite a bit.) and so he begins to go against his father. His mother is strangled in between them and her brother who is a fraud trying to sell some Chinese goods. This particular side plot is very good and it gets a proper ending as well but the gun culture and goondagiri involved in it just felt out of place. The story of Sanjeev Mehra and his wife is a different thing in itself. I was able to understand the broken relationship but some details in this story left a sour taste in my mouth. You should have observed that some details in the show are off. Other than that, this is the best series that India has given. Thank God, this series does not have an open ending.

This web series has some of the best casting and acting for a web-series period. The credit goes to the director for the control he had over all the things. But, the actors are serious gold. I cannot pick one actor that has not given a bad performance. It is that good. They bring out each and every detail of their character alive. The technical aspects of the series too are really good. Overall, this series is worth your time. But, you need to keep aside your feelings to enjoy the show. 

IMDb Rating : 7.5/10
My Rating : 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment