Saturday, May 16, 2020

Forensic (2020) Movie Review

After watching Anjaam Pathiraa, I was searching for a Malayalam thriller and then I found out Forensic. I did not watch the trailers for the film neither I know anything about it. I have no idea about the actors involved except for Mamata Mohandas who worked in 2 Telugu films in 2007-08. Will this unknown ride win over me or will it make me puke at the dead bodies? Let's have a look at forensic:
Forensic is a 2020 Malayalam thriller film starring Tovino Thomas, Mamata Mohandas and Saiju Kurup in lead roles. It is directed by first timers Akhil Paul and Anas Khan. The story revolves around a serial killer who abducts kids and how Ritika Xavier and Samuel John Kattokkaran catch this killer.

The screenplay is good for me although it has some problems. In the first 5 minutes of the film, the film gives an impression of being an amazing thriller with its visual storytelling with gripped me in. But, then slowly progressing into the film, I was subjected to some exposition. It was swinging from that side to this side throughout the first half. Luckily, the writing succeeded in maintaining the tension throughout the first half and then literally shocked me with the interval bang. That really gave me the feel that the film will get really good. It was actually good for the most of the second half but the end 30 minutes of the film goes haywire where the film kinda blurs with the things which it tries to tell us and I had to look over the Wikipedia page to actually get what they were saying. In between all this, I really liked the forensic part of the film and was intrigued with some of the scenes involving them. Also, the family connection to all of this madness was also good. Finally, the motive of the killer too was clear. But, I could predict some of the twists in the second half. Overall, the story of the film was good but the execution could have been better.

The casting of the film is perfect. This is first film of Tovino Thomas that I am watching and I really liked his performance. He does perfectly the hero role of the film that maybe he is used to. I know Mamata Mohandas as a good actor but in this film, she was absolutely perfect. Her body language is literally fluid as it instantly changes from scene to scene with accuracy. The acting too is really very good. Saiju Kurup gets few scenes to perform but in those scenes he does a great job. Reba Monica John is good in the film. Two scenes in the film where she is shown as a screw-up, I liked her acting in those scenes the most. But, the biggest surprise I got from this film is Thammanna Pramod as Navya and Nayana. Like, this is one of the best child acting I have ever seen in recent times. Her killer expression is one of the best moments in the film. All other actors in the film too give good performances.

This film is technically good. The cinematography of the film is good. The editing of the film too is good. The BGM of this thriller is good but if I compare, it is not the best. There is not much to talk about the technical aspects, they do a good job and that's it.

So, we have seen better thrillers than this film but you can still watch this film you really like to watch Malayalam films and especially thrillers. If you watch thrillers often, you may give it a try but you may predict the twists in no time except for the interval bang. This film has been sourced from private sources and as I am covering it up you know where to get this film. 

IMDb Rating : 6.6/10
My Rating : 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment