Monday, May 11, 2020

Anime Week - Part 1 - Your Name (Kimi No Na Wa) (2016) Movie Review

Yesterday, my Brother and I played a game regarding the language of the films we would eventually watch in this week. When we played the game, the winner was Japanese films. But, for us the only thing we know about Japanese entertainment is Anime. So, we thought this week we will watch all types of anime films. We begin anime week with the film which recently got into the best anime of all time lists. It is Your Name or Kimi No Na Wa. So, what I thought about it? Find out more about it down:
Your Name is 2016 Japanese Anime film directed by the modern legend Makota Shinkai. It revolves two people who mysteriously switch bodies day after day. When they know about each other in this process, they try to meet which leads to complicated circumstances. 

The story is very original. It is a movie which involves body swapping. We would have snippets of such stuff in our cinema but never did I think it would be a love story. It has something truly unique in it. That we have never seen in any kind of cinema. The screenplay of the film too is sensational. We cannot even blink our eye while watching this film. It is very humorous. It uses the typical Japanese style humour which would take time for non-anime guys to understand. When all humour completes, this film takes us on an unexpected ride where we are surprised and emotional and finally happy. Also, we see village vs city life, some good characters and some interesting things. There is nothing much to say about this film. The single most unique love story I have ever seen in my entire life. 

The animation of the film is gorgeous. First of all, the backgrounds. They simply do not look like drawings. They are very lively and simply real. Then, the character animation is smooth. Like very very smooth. Their expressions too are so natural. The voice acting too is very nice according to me. I suggest you watch the Japanese version. I would never watch English dubs especially after the disastrous dub I got for My Neighbour Totoro which by the way I strongly recommend. The best scene in the film is where the hero sees the flashback of the heroine. IT has two types of animation in the same scene. It has the vibes of a trippy scene but never does it confuse us. Overall, this is some of the best animation in general I have seen in my entire life.

I know this review is very short but Your Name has completely blew my mind. With the clear vision of Makota Shinkai, this film is just perfect. Not many times, we come to encounter such masterpieces which have a completely original story. If you consider yourselves an anime fan, it is compulsory that you should have watched this film already. If not, then just watch this film right away. 

IMDb Rating : 8.4/10
My Rating : 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment