Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Matrix (1999) Movie Review

My father is a big fan of the matrix. My mother and father have memories watching this film again and again. I at that time wasn't that much of a cinema guy and I was a year old baby. Now, after becoming a cinema fan, I was thinking what makes this film such a classic. Yeah, I know their action scenes are super innovative but I wanted to know why this film works? Here is my opinion about the matrix.
The Matrix is a 1999 science fiction action thriller drama starring Keanu Reeves, Lawrence Fishburn in lead roles directed by The Wachowskis. The story is about a dystopian future where humans are mere batteries. When Neo becomes the chosen one, their team tries to free the world from the Matrix.

The screenplay of the film is ridiculously insane. I would have never imagined computer software and AI the way the Wachowskis did. I will never forget this experience in my lifetime. I know many have watched it before me but for the many who will watch after me, I am not gonna reveal any element of the film. But, I will say this you need subtitles to understand the exact story. We may be carried away with the visuals but underneath there is such an interesting world with so many rules and such a good world building. I'm at loss for words. Anyways, this is some of the best cyberpunk films I have ever seen.

The acting in here is brilliant. I am loving Keanu Reeves more and more day by day. His persona, charisma is natural but in this film he has to grow as a character who is just a regular guy in the Matrix to being the One. He pulls it out really well in one of his career best performances. Lawrence Fishburne really impressed me in this film as he portrays belief, smartness with such attitude. He is the guy who introduces us to the Matrix and he needed to be a good actor to make it understand. Carrie-Ann Moss as the Trinity really shines as her swagger is mixed well with her vulnerability and love to the One. Another special mention goes to Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith. His face expressions are limited bit yet his eyes scare us away. He gets the best scene and the best dialogue of the film where he compares humans to a certain Virus. Overall, the acting is fantastic.

This film belongs to the technical aspects. The cinematography is marvellous which makes best use of the wide angle shots and the slow motion technique. The directors intentionally left a green tinge to all the shots in the Matrix as it is just a program. With the colour grading, the film looks really unique. The editing of the film is smooth and sharp. The BGM of the film is great adding the element of Rock with the conventional music. The main highlights of the film are the visual effects, action chereography and set design. The VFX is dated when it tries conventional stuff like alien like machines, fire effects and some of the ripples. But, when it tries something innovative, it succeeds in ti with perfection. This film is the pioneer of bullet time and some of the slow-motion. It coupled with the mind bending action really blows my mind away. This technique had been replicated several times but none reaches the impact of this film. The set design and the art department of the film really shine as there is years of hardwork and passion seen in each setpiece either it be the ship itself or the matrix. It is so special that just a white green screen had some meaning in this film. Overall, this film is a visual wonder.

If you are bored and tired of this lockdown or not able to sleep at night. I suggest you quickly open Disney+Hotstar Premium and start watching Matrix right away. If you have watched it, tell what you thought about the film in the comments section. For many who have not watched this film though, close the blog and enjoy a one-of-a-kind experience with The Matrix. 

IMDb Rating : 8.7/10
My Rating : 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment