Thursday, June 18, 2020

Public Demand Thursday #7 - Fight Club (1999) Movie Review

This review is a birthday present of sorts to my new friend in College. Amid lockdown, this was my only way to gift him. So, I decided to review his favourite film,Fight Club. Ever since I was into films, this film popped up in my discussions and unfortunately I was revealed the spoiler of the film. So, I have a different perspective towards this film. How did I think about the film? Let us find out:
Fight Club is a 1999 Comedy drama starring Brad Pitt,Edward Norton in lead roles. The film revolves around the unnamed narrator whose dissatisfactions in life drive him nuts.

There are 2 ways to look into the film. One is the surprising way and the other is the second time watch. I was revealed that Brad Pitt and Edward Norton are both the same, Tyler Durden. That aside, the direction is fantastic. There are no loose ends in the screenplay and certain scenes in the film show how genius David Fincher is. The character of Tyler Durden seems to be macho, free and the embodiment of an ideal human being but deep within he is a dark and disturbing guy. Whatever he does in the film, it questions us. The social implications of the film are apt even now. The study  it puts on capitalism and consumerism is spot on. Also, it says that attacking stuff is not the right way. That really impressed me. The film is also very funny and charming to watch. The interactions between Brad Pitt and Edward Norton is also excellent. There is no single moment that I had a problem with. So, it is a perfect screenplay. Also, who can forget the iconic Fight Club dialogue.

POSITIVES:

  1. The Acting of the film is excellente. Brad Pitt is the best performer. Perfect and Oscar Worthy. Edward Norton is also great as the unnamed narrator because he acts out the complicated parts of the character really well.
  2. The cinematography is also very good. The unique taste of David Fincher creates a very different looking film. It is hip and cool while being gritty. The film has a tinge of green in all sequences of Fight Club. In other sequences, it is clean and neat. This contrast really shows the narrator's perspective. 
  3. The score by The Dust Brothers is matrix-like but it is before Matrix and so it is extraordinary. I really dug in the rock themed music of the film which essentially helped the rugged look of the film.
  4. The direction and how he left no thread loose.
  5. The editing and how it keeps us engaged in its 2hr 31min runtime.
NO NEGATIVES...

Overall, this film is one of those gems that teaches us to accept ourselves and try to push from the regular. I was shocked at knowing that this film was a flop at the box office. It did find a cult following thereafter and influenced many people around the world including my friend. So, Happy Birthday friend and enjoy watching Fight Club for a million times. 

P.S. The version I saw on Amazon Prime has 2 scenes edited out and so if you can tell me where to find those deleted scenes it would help me.

IMDB Rating : 8.8/10
My Rating : 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment